Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Garden

When I think about what I really miss about the Pacific Northwest my garden has to be right up at the top.  As much as I try, I cannot seem to get those beautiful Northwest flowers blooming for long in the desert.  The garden which occupied my time all summer long is now pushed to winter when the temperature is cooler.  The trade off is that I get to enjoy the abundance of beautiful fruits and vegetables available when the rest of the country is looking at snow.  There is nothing better than your own garden, pesticide free, amazingly fresh, and even a bit funky.  "Real" grapefruit aren't all uniform in shape and size, however the flavor is like nothing the corner grocery has to offer.  Picked at the peak of ripeness instead of green and flavorless makes all the difference in the world.